Paul said I should add more about me to this blog (it was supposed to be my blog but morphed into a family blog) so here goes:
2008 In a Nutshell (stolen from my friend Nikki in Texas, who I wish lived here!)
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before? Drove a minivan. Family grew... car had to grow too.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't do New Year's resolutions. What's the point? It's gotta be about the present every single day, day in and day out.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes, I did! Sammy arrived Aug. 1. Also, my cousin's wife, Crystal, gave birth to little Owen in May.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Sadly, my great uncle Roger passed away in 2008.
5. What countries did you visit? None. We have got to get back to the U.K.! Paul's parents still haven't met Annabel not to mention Sammy.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? More time away from doctor's offices and away from hospitals.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Feb. 12, Lucy's open-heart surgery. Aug. 1, Sammy's arrival. Both were difficult going in but with wonderful outcomes despite the scars.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Making it through Lucy's surgery, trying to support her as best I could. That was one of the hardest things of my entire life. Also, making it through the last trimester of pregnancy while caring for a 3-year-old and 1-year-old. Making it through Sammy's newborn period with a 2-year-old and 4-year-old. Oh, and realizing that I am a person beyond just a wife and mother; still working on developing who that is!
9. What was your biggest failure? Hands down, raising my voice too much out of loss of patience, exhaustion and frustration.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Just a grueling C-section recovery.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Two second-hand infant Miracle Blankets. They are truly miracles in swaddling the baby and keeping him asleep!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Hate to talk politics, but I have to say I think Obama's message of hope was a breath of fresh air.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Casey Anthony.
14. Where did most of your money go? The house. It's always the house in the area we live.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Disneyland trip!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Viva la Vida by Coldplay
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? Happier b) thinner or fatter? Thinner c) richer or poorer? Uh, poorer! (It's the times, no?)
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? More beach trips would have been great. More than just the one day we did. We live so close!
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Spent less money.
20. How did you spend Christmas? At home! That's where Santa finds us.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008? I've been in love...
22. What was your favorite TV program? House.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? That word isn't in my vocabulary.
24. What was the best book you read? Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Coldplay thanks to three months of FREE Sirius on the Honda (gone now).
26. What did you want and get? I've come to realize that less is more. It's taken years to get to this point. Now it's all about lightening the load.
27. What did you want and not get? A sense of calm. Unattainable perhaps, but gotta try for it. It's just so chaotic constantly.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? I actually only saw one movie, Sex and the City. It was part of my baby shower night and it was great!
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Had a fruit tart with candles and got a wonderful new camera (also for Mother's Day as it was so close). The girls sang to me! I turned 36.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? To not have had that third C-section. But that's OK. Baby Sammy made it here safe and sound, for which I feel truly blessed.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? What Not to Wear a la maternity.
32. What kept you sane? One hour of quiet time each day. I had my own thoughts to think. I got some rest. It was nice. I recommend it for everyone.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Errr. I am so not in this realm. I still think Brad Pitt is yummy, even after seeing Fight Club recently. Wierd!
34. What political issue stirred you the most? The election.
35. Who did you miss? My family. I wish they lived closer. Or I lived closer.
36. Who was the best new person you met? Sammy.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Get back to basics. Pray for your own and your family's health. Be thankful for modern medicine and strong little hearts.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "There's a little wheel a turnin' in my heart." - Laurie Berkner.